Saturday, December 1, 2012

Day 22: My First "Real" Rejection

Today was incredibly fulfilling in my task for 100 rejections in 100 days. I finally met with the potential business coach I've mentioned before (we postponed a couple of times due to illness). It was great and I'm feeling both inspired and on the right path.

I installed Bento for tracking contacts and LOVE it. Just the right amount of flexibility and easy customization. I can see it having a ton of uses. And it syncs with ipads and iphones and such, which makes it easy to take on the road.

I received my first, totally final rejection today (i.e., not a "we'll get back to you later"). A couple of months ago I entered a competition for MOYO Magazine. In order to create my entry (the task was to create three patterns inspired by photographs of circles in Japan), I took an online class and spent hours and hours learning how to create pretty complex repeat patterns using vintage images as a starting point. In looking at my submission now, I'm still pretty happy with how it turned out, especially considering it was my first attempt at making patterns. Though I can definitely see why it wasn't selected as one of the winners.

And, after my lovely rejection, I had a bit of an "aha" moment when considering whether to enter the same contest for the next volume of MOYO ... I think I might be someone who doesn't choose the path of least resistance, but rather the path of greatest positive response. If I receive positive feedback on something I'm working on (even if the project is really hard) I'm more likely to keep going, but if I hear nothing at all or something negative I'm much more inclined to abandon the project altogether. Something interesting to contemplate.

No comments: